Waste reduction at home!
Waste prevention (or source reduction) means eliminating waste before it’s created by purchasing products with less packaging, reusing goods instead of throwing them away, using up products completely and eliminating waste whenever possible. Waste prevention saves resources, promotes efficiency, reduces pollution and may even save money.
A few ways to stop waste at the start:
- Compost yard waste and kitchen scraps
- Buy reusable rather than disposable products
- Bring a shopping bag to the store
- Buy in bulk when possible
- Avoid individually wrapped or single-serving products
- Choose products with refillable or reusable containers
- Buy fresh produce at local farmers’ markets without packaging
- Reduce the amount of unwanted mail
Waste reduction (or prevention) is the preferred approach to waste management because waste that never gets created doesn’t have waste management costs. Visit CalRecycle for more information on how to reduce waste at home.